To hyphenate or not to hyphenate

STEPHEN MANNING SDMANNING at ASUB.EDU
Wed Oct 29 16:09:17 CST 2003

Hi all,

I hope you will forgive the intrusion of someone who is not presently
actively involved with either ICBN, ICZN, or bacteriology as I open another
can of worms that I, at least, see as relevant:

How long does a "tradition" have to be in existence to fit the definition
of "traditionally", whether applied to ICBN or ICZN or any other document?

I would say, without stretching it at all, that the present tradition is to
classify the slime molds as NEITHER plants nor animals, no matter what the
tradition was when it was stated that the ICBN, for example, stated that
slime molds were traditionally classified as plants.  It really is
stretching it too far, as I see it, to say that our present tradition is to
classify them as either plants or animals.

Therefore, perhaps you can do whatever you please with the hyphenation or
any other nomenclatural issue regarding Dictyostelium, until a new code is
passed for Protista or, if you are a splitter, a smaller group such as
cellular slime molds, in accord with what I consider to be our present
tradition.(?)

Cheers,
Steve

At 03:45 PM 10/28/03 -0500, John Landolt wrote:
>Dear Taxacomers:
>
>Thanks to everyone who provided input to my query about hyphenated
>names.  After some electronic discussion and interaction, it would
>seem a consensus that both the ICBN and ICZN would support the
>conversion of the original name of Dictyostelium aureo-stipes to D.
>aureostipes.  I presume this convention would extend to
>"de-hyphenating" D. coeruleo-stipes and D. multi-stipes, two other
>published taxa of dictyostelids.
>
>Would we be in agreement that the published dictyostelid species name
>D. vinaceo-fuscum should be similarly altered to be in compliance
>with ICBN as well as ICZN?
>
>Thanks also to Monsieur Melot for directing attention to the journal
>and the journal article that actually brought my question into being
>originally.
>
>Cheers to all.
>
>John
>
>--