To hyphenate or not to hyphenate

Paul Kirk p.kirk at CABI.ORG
Wed Oct 29 15:07:20 CST 2003

or until the BioCode is accepted and used by everyone ... :o)

Paul Kirk
CABI Bioscience

-----Original Message-----
From: STEPHEN MANNING
To: TAXACOM at LISTSERV.NHM.KU.EDU
Sent: 29/10/03 22:09
Subject: Re: [TAXACOM] To hyphenate or not to hyphenate

Hi all,

I hope you will forgive the intrusion of someone who is not presently
actively involved with either ICBN, ICZN, or bacteriology as I open
another
can of worms that I, at least, see as relevant:

How long does a "tradition" have to be in existence to fit the
definition
of "traditionally", whether applied to ICBN or ICZN or any other
document?

I would say, without stretching it at all, that the present tradition is
classify the slime molds as NEITHER plants nor animals, no matter what
the
tradition was when it was stated that the ICBN, for example, stated that
slime molds were traditionally classified as plants.  It really is
stretching it too far, as I see it, to say that our present tradition is
classify them as either plants or animals.

Therefore, perhaps you can do whatever you please with the hyphenation
or
any other nomenclatural issue regarding Dictyostelium, until a new code
is
passed for Protista or, if you are a splitter, a smaller group such as
cellular slime molds, in accord with what I consider to be our present
tradition.(?)

Cheers,
Steve