To hyphenate or not to hyphenate

Paul van Rijckevorsel dipteryx at FREELER.NL
Fri Oct 31 18:58:21 CST 2003

To be exact the 1996 BioCode (Third draft, is this the most recent one?)
has:
Article 35
35.1. Distinguishable groups of cultivated plants, whose origin or selection
is primarily due to the intentional actions of mankind (e.g. cultivars and
cultivar-groups), are not covered by this Code, but are denominated under
the provisions of the International code of nomenclature for cultivated
plants.
= + =

In thinking a little on a MetaCode it seems it would be desirable to have
translations of the basic concepts to the several separate 'jargons', eg.
MetaCode: " It is the oldest name that counts"
Botanical translation: "For any taxon the correct name is the earliest
legitimate name in that same rank, except in cases of limitation of priority
by conservation or where specified exceptions apply."
Zoological translation [no ICZN at hand]
Bacteriological transation: [no Bacteriological Code either]
[leaving combinations aside, it is the general idea that counts]

If there is such a translation of the MetaCode (covering major principles)
into ICBN-speak, ICZN-speak, etc it would be only a small step to break each
Code into two parts: a general part (translation of MetaCode) and a part to
deal with the 'idiosynchrasies' of the groups under consideration. This
would allow retention of many customs, that likely have proved their value.
Why replace the parts that are not broken?

It may well be that this would work better than having a completely new
BioCode that covers everything and replaces what may not need to be
replaced.

Just philosophizing.
Paul van Rijckevorsel
Utrecht, NL