AFA - Australian Freshwater Algae (Website)

Tim Entwisle Tim.Entwisle at RBGSYD.NSW.GOV.AU
Mon Sep 1 07:28:15 CDT 2003

AFA - AUSTRALIAN FRESHWATER ALGAE: a new website, including interactive
key and pictorial key to 235 genera of freshwater algae in Australia...

If you are interested in freshwater algae, or think you could become
so, take a look at our new webpages at
http://www.rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au/information_about_plants/botanical_info/australian_freshwater_algae2,
or if that URL is too daunting, start with www.rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au, and
work your way down through: Information about Plants > Botanical
Information > Australian Freshwater Algae.

The interactive key to 235 genera of freshwater algae in Australia
(ALGKEY) was funded by the NSW Community Access for Natural Resources
Information program. This INTKEY (DELTA) product is our first attempt at
keying out most of the genera we think people will find in Australia. We
welcome feedback and of course corrections (we know already there are
some mistakes in our scoring).

The pictorial key (ALGPIC) should be fun to browse and for many users
may be more appealing than the interactive key.

The AFA pages link to our existing Census of Freshwater Algae in
Australia. Unfortunately we have been unable to update this for a number
of years. However I am still accumulating literature and hope to bring
it up-to-date as soon as I can. If you publish a new record of
freshwater algae from Australia, do let me know.

While I will take ongoing responsibility for the key (and for any
errors), Nick Yee was the principle editor and creator of ALGKEY, Penny
Farrant formatted most of the webpages, and Matt Whittington designed
the banner and some of the layout.

Tim Entwisle

Dr Tim Entwisle, Director Plant Sciences, Royal Botanic Gardens and
Domain Trust, Mrs Macquaries Road, Sydney NSW 2000, Australia. phone:
+61-2-9231 8113. mobile: 0419 600 449. fax: +61-2-9251 4403. email:
tim.entwisle at rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au. website: www.rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au.

confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please
delete it and notify the sender. Views expressed in this message are
those of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of the
Royal Botanic Gardens and Domain Trust.