Rev. Zool. and Consp. Gen. Av.

christian thompson cthompson at SEL.BARC.USDA.GOV
Wed Sep 3 11:04:28 CDT 2003

Dear Andres:

It is a slow day so while I am an entomologist, I will take a quess:

Rev. Zool. = Revue zoologique. Published by Le Societe Curvierienne LC
call # QL1.R4538

The other seems to equal "Conspectus generum Avium" Bonaparte, C. L. J.
L. 1850

It helps in tracking down old literature to know whether there are new
names in it. For example, if there are new names in "Consp. Gen. Av.",
give us the names. Then we can look it up in Sherborn's Index Animalium,
which will provide the basic literature reference. Usually there is
enough bibliographic detail in Sherborn for a librarian to find the
reference. However, if not, there is enough to find more information in
online / printed catalog of the library of The Natural History Museum
(old BM(NH)) try: http://www.nhm.ac.uk/library/index.html Then if your
librarian has access one can use WorldCat (an OCLC Online Union catalog)
to find libraries which have these works.

Obviously, being here at the Smithsonian we have both as does NHM,
etc.

Cheers

F. Christian Thompson
Systematic Entomology Lab., USDA
c/o Smithsonian Institution
MRC-0169 NHB
PO Box 37012
Washington, DC 20013-7012
(202) 382-1800 voice
(202) 786-9422 FAX
cthompso at sel.barc.usda.gov e-mail
www.diptera.org  web site

>>> Andres M Cuervo <wa022129 at CNNET.CLU.EDU> 09/03/03 08:38AM >>>
Dear all,

As part of reconstructing the taxonomic history of a very poorly known
monotypic genus of South American Grackles (Icteridae: Hypopyrrhus) I
have been in need to locate, without any success yet, a couple of very
old articles on bird taxonomy. One appears in "Rev. Zool" of 1847,
page
252. Does anybody know the complete name of this publication? Which
institution published it? What can I do to obtain a copy?
I wonder exactly the same questions for this other: "Consp. Gen. Av"
1(2), pg. 425 (1850). I would really appreciate if someone could give
me
any lead.

Best regards,

Andres Cuervo