synonomies

Karen Wilson Karen.Wilson at RBGSYD.NSW.GOV.AU
Sun Sep 7 15:38:12 CDT 2003

Some botanists have used what seem to me informative and intuitive
'visual aids' in synonymy lists along the lines suggested by Geoff.
Namely, they have used the '=' and the 'equivalence' symbols to
indicate respectively heterotypic /subjective /taxonomic synonyms versus
homotypic /objective /nomenclatural synonyms.

Botanists also commonly use the format  [... auct. non ... :  ...] for
misapplied names, e.g. '[Cyperus exul auct. non R. Br.: Bentham (1978),
Smith (1922), Bloggs (1999)]' to indicate the original author Brown, and
those who subsequently misapplied his name.

Cheers
Karen W.

Karen L. Wilson
Special Botanist
Royal Botanic Gardens Sydney
Mrs Macquaries Road
SYDNEY  NSW 2000,  AUSTRALIA

Phone: +61-2-9231 8137
Fax: +61-2-9251 7231
Email: karen.wilson at rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au (if not working, use
karenwilsonau at yahoo.com)

confidential information.
If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it and notify the
sender. Views expressed
in this message are those of the individual sender, and are not
necessarily those of the
Royal Botanic Gardens and Domain Trust.

Thomas G. Lammers, Ph.D. wrote:
> Wow.  Arrows???
>
> Wouldn't just be a LOT easier to adopt the botanical style of author
> citation, e.g., Penstemon hirsutus (L.) Willd.?

Nah. Too cryptic. I like the visual aids.

As he's used them they're just like bullet point markers - a standard
technique everyone uses elsewhere to do lists. Why not in big
synonymies?  And
it was a nice touch to make the symbols mean something.

--
  Geoff Read <g.read at niwa.co.nz>
  http://www.annelida.net/