synonymies and 'truly' scientific names

Mon Sep 8 10:08:23 CDT 2003

At 08:16 AM 9/8/03 -0600, you wrote:
>Just a minor point. I was trying to find the identity sign to insert
>into a Web page and could not.  A double equals sign is easy. So long as
>one explains one's symbols, surely that is adequate? Of course, being a
>botanist, if someone would tell me the code for an identity sign, I
>would be very happy.

In WordPerfect, it's <ALT> <240>.

In MS-Word, it's in the "Mathematical Operators" section of the special
symbols window, and also in the SYMBOLS font, but there is no "shortcut
key" given for it at either place.

If all else fails, you can underline a standard equal sign:  =

Thomas G. Lammers, Ph.D.

Department of Biology and Microbiology
University of Wisconsin Oshkosh
Oshkosh, Wisconsin 54901-8640 USA

e-mail:       lammers at uwosh.edu
phone:      920-424-1002
fax:           920-424-1101

Plant systematics; classification, nomenclature, evolution, and biogeography
of the Campanulaceae s. lat.

Webpages: