2003, the year botanists were asleep

Paul van Rijckevorsel dipteryx at FREELER.NL
Thu Sep 11 10:54:32 CDT 2003

All is not lost. The people at Uppsala seem confident that of the big three:

2003: 250 years botanical binary names
2007: 300 years since Linnaeus was born
2009: 250 years zoological binary names

the middle one will be the biggest, as being a joint effort of botanists and
zoologists. So better beware!
Paul van Rijckevorsel, Utrecht

========
> Botanical Colleagues,

> Most of us seem to have overlooked that Linnaeus' Species Plantarum was
published in 1753 (on 01 May, as has been conventionally determined fide
Stafleu & Cowan).

> My colleague, Anna Monro, has pointed out that Uppsala and Missouri BG
seem to be the only places at which symposia have been organised.

> All countries (and regions within larger ones) should have been having
meetings and various other gatherings to celebrate this highly significant
event.

> 250 years, and the wheels still have not fallen off.

> It doesn't matter if one is a proponent of a phylocode, or a unicode;
Linnaeus' publication has had a profound effect.

> Maybe, as with the Millennium celebrations for many, we are going to
celebrate the event the following year, ie on 01 May 2004??

> My friends, we should have done something positive to celebrate this.
Or are we so down-trodden, that we prefer to wear our sackcloth and anoint
ourselves with ashes, whinging that we are not given the resources we
deserve?  We should have been out and about, showing that the job of
classifying biological diversity is just as important now as it was back
in 1753.

> Our future, and that of our science, is in our hands,
Are we letting it slip away??