Speaking of Linnaeus ....number of species described?

christian thompson cthompson at SEL.BARC.USDA.GOV
Fri Sep 12 07:54:32 CDT 2003

Speaking about this year being 250 years since Species Plantarum, etc.

Does any one know the number of species Linnaeus described in his
life?

Has any one every tabulated this and broken it down to major groups?

I know there is a ton of literature on Linnaeus, but it seems easier
and faster just to ask TAXACOM.

For my area, Linnaeus named 275 flies. His son described 1 other, the
human bot fly. so, we have lots of Musca .... L., and one Oestrus
hominis L., Jr.!

Thanks

F. Christian Thompson
Systematic Entomology Lab., USDA