Speaking of Linnaeus ....number of species described?

Fri Sep 12 02:20:58 CDT 2003

> Does any one know the number of species Linnaeus described in his
> life?
>
> Has any one every tabulated this and broken it down to major groups?

According to Bill Eschmeyer's Catalog of Fishes (the single most valuable
resource I've ever used):

GENERA
------
66 names, plus one where he may be an "ex" author: _Borborys_ Goode & Bean
(ex Broussonet/Linnaeus) Eschmeyer writes of this: "Not available from Goode
& Bean 1885; essentially a name published in synonymy; Goode & Bean quote an
annotation by Linnaeus.  Subsequent availability of name not investigated.";
and notes: "In the synonymy of *Fundulus* Lacepede 1803 -- (Parenti 1981:494
[ref. 7066], Wildekamp 1996:223 [ref. 23649], Lazara 2001:139 [ref.
25711])."

Of the 66 Linnaeus names, all but four appeared in Systema Naturae.

SPECIES
-------
506 names, plus one "Sparrman in Linnaeus, 1769", which I guess doesn't
count.
Of these, 56 names are of uncertain status, and an additional 64 are
regarded by Eschmeyer as syonyms (following other taxononomic authorities).
Of the 506 names, 418 appeared in Systema Naturae.

Aloha,
Rich

Richard L. Pyle
Ichthyology, Bishop Museum