Lucy in Newsweek

Peter Stevens peter.stevens at MOBOT.ORG
Fri Apr 2 09:27:55 CST 2004

At 9:01 AM -0500 4/2/04, John Grehan wrote:

>Contested evidence and methods seems to me to be the hallmark of science.
>This history of science is replete with the competition of ideas in the
>marketplace of science. It would seem to me that this topic is no
>different. The orangutan question definitely brings the morphology-DNA
>character question into sharp focus. The decision over the orangutan will
>have definitive conclusions for this question for the systematics of life
>in general.

Would that the last sentence were so.  However, if morphology were
"right" here, it would not follow that morphology would always being
right and should always be preferred, and ditto "wrong".  And any
even causal glance at the history of science (or of anything)
suggests that believers will go on believing despite evidemce to the
contrary.

P.