dipteran mating display?

Ken Kinman kinman2 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Aug 24 22:26:57 CDT 2004

Hi Don,
     Yes, I would consider it a possible mosquito.  Since it is now dead, I got to look at it a little more closely tonight, and it does have a long proboscis that is rather needlelike.

     When I have the time, I'll take a closer look under the microscope.  Will also try to find out if any mosquitoes have prominent spines on the hindlegs.  The only thing is that the antennae are plain, not hairy or feathered as I would expect in a male mosquito.  But I guess it could be a female or an immature male.
             ---- Cheers,
                         Ken