evolution as doctrine

Curtis Clark jcclark at CSUPOMONA.EDU
Sat Jan 3 11:27:45 CST 2004

At 12:35 2004-01-03 -0500, John Grehan wrote:
>I could go on, but the above are illustrate for me why teaching evolution
>is so problematic in the US. However, I acknowledge in advance, and as
>always, that virtually everyone else on this list is probably happy with
>the doctrinal approach to teaching evolution and would agree with all the
>tenets since over 99% of all evolutionists [and systematists] are Darwinians.

While I don't disagree with your negative appraisal of evolution taught as
doctrine, labeling specific evolutionists as "Darwinian" seems rather
doctrinaire. It's the same as if I said, "What else would you expect from a
panbiogeographer?" Not very useful, in either direction.

Web Coordinator, Cal Poly Pomona       http://www.csupomona.edu/
Professor, Biological Sciences                   +1 909 869 4062