chilpotle

Mon Jan 5 15:55:00 CST 2004

According to Jean Andrews, in "Peppers, The Domesticated Capsicums," the original
Nahautl word was chipotle.  Could it be that the extra l was added by the Spanish?

Dick

--
Richard J. Jensen              | tel: 574-284-4674
Department of Biology      | fax: 574-284-4716
Saint Mary's College         | e-mail: rjensen at saintmarys.edu
Notre Dame, IN 46556    | http://www.saintmarys.edu/~rjensen