human origins

STEPHEN MANNING SDMANNING at ASUB.EDU
Thu Jan 22 16:20:13 CST 2004

At 10:57 AM 1/22/04 -0600, Richard.Zander at MOBOT.ORG wrote:
>Well, hang on a minute there. The molecular data are commonly sufficient to
>allow statistical tests of reliability but morphological data are generally
>not. It isn't just "genetic sequence similarity" to the exclusion of
>morphological data.
>
>Naturally, the presumption is that if random generation of parallel traits
>in closely related but not sister lineages is not to be expected by chance
>alone, one can assume shared ancestry of apparent sister taxa.

But why shouldn't we expect it by chance alone?  If, for example, each gene
is expected to mutate once per million cell divisions, and that gene is
present in two closely related but not sister lineages, it would be
expected to mutate once per million cell divisions in each lineage.  So
although the probability goes down, it would be expected to happen again
eventually in a parallel manner.  This is true independently of natural
selection.  So if one lineage can survive with the mutation, it isn't
surprising if another can too.  I know not all mutations of a gene are
identical but some are.

Stephen D. Manning, Ph.D.
Professor of Biology
Mathematics and Science Division