shortest plant life cycle

Ken Kinman kinman2 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Jan 24 19:22:34 CST 2004

Members of Family Lemnaceae can certainly have extremely rapid rates of "vegetative" reproduction, but I'm not sure that would necessarily translate into rapid life cycles.  Aren't they rather seasonal (and therefore usually slower) in how often they undergo sexual reproduction (sort of like some bryozoans are)?  It just seems like organisms that can readily reproduce asexually wouldn't have as much pressure on them to develop short life cycles.  I wonder if that would apply to insects (like aphids)??  Will have to look into that.
            ----- Cheers,  Ken