Stolen web pages

P. Bryan Heidorn heidorn at ALEXIA.LIS.UIUC.EDU
Mon Jan 26 09:00:57 CST 2004

First, you can try asking to have it removed or acknowledged depending on
your desire.

If that does not work
There may be legal and social recourse. In part it depends on who, if
anyone, claimed copyright. But because no one claimed copyright, does not
mean it is public domain. It is usually a good idea to claim copyright
because it gives you the power to give people access while protecting it.
You might try the Open Publishing License http://opencontent.org/openpub/.
There is a good discussion in
Building the Biodiversity Commons
Thomas Moritz
D-Lib Magazine June 2002 Volume 8 Number 6
ISSN 1082-9873 http://www.dlib.org/dlib/june02/moritz/06moritz.html

There is new congressional legislation meant to cover electronic databases
but I believe that current copyright and patent protections are sufficient
and just need to be enforced. You can find a discussion of that issue at
http://www.acm.org/usacm/Issues/Database.html

also
Legal protection for database contents
Communications of the ACM archive
Volume 39 ,  Issue 12  (December 1996) table of contents
Pages: 17 - 23
Year of Publication: 1996
ISSN:0001-0782 This link requires a ACM password, sorry
copyright.http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?doid=240483.240486

<citation.htm>Intellectual property for an information age: introduction
Pamela Samuelson
February 2001
Communications of the ACM,  Volume 44 Issue 2
This link requires a ACM password, sorry copyright.
http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?doid=359205.359230

Generally, on the web, references to another site is allowed but copying
the material is not except for indexing the original site and giving access
to it (ala google, yahoo, alta vista...) Copyright law include rights for
fair use (but not abuse).

Bryan Heidorn