Botanical Web Wish List.

Paul van Rijckevorsel dipteryx at FREELER.NL
Mon Jan 26 18:16:51 CST 2004

>From my perspective, Peter Stevens' Angiosperm Phylogeny Website is on the
one hand an amazing achievement (for a one-man effort) but on the other hand
so far from what such a site should be that I am not sure I regard it as a
web-based resource. Rather it is a sketch of the potential of such a
resource.

Actually when I think of a Botanical Web Wish List this would be headed by a
good list of botanical names. At the moment there is IPNI, which just gives
published names (a more than decent percentage of all names) and TROPICOS3,
which gives current names in areas where the Missouri Botanical Garden is
active. This leaves quite a bit of uncharted territory when it comes to
current names (even taking into account more isolated databases such as
ILDIS). Lots of the public-at-large turns to IPNI, erroneously assuming
these are current names, merely because there is no alternative.

Going to a site listing characters (preferably illustrated) would only be a
second step, and going to a site that evaluates characters a third step.
Paul van Rijckevorsel