Stolen web pages

Fewless, Gary fewlessg at UWGB.EDU
Mon Jan 26 12:25:00 CST 2004

>The bottom line is if you don't want your work "stolen" don't put it on the
>web. If you want to share your work widely then put it on the web and rely
>on peoples good will to credit you.

I agree, up to a point. People who put material on the web, in particular those who make available scientific or other original works to aid others, should expect that their material will be used, and probably downloaded and a copy printed for personal use. Linking to another person's web page without arrangement also seems reasonable. That type of use is an entirely different phenomenon from the posting of another person's work on a website as your own. If intellectual property has value, then this is clearly theft as well as plagiarism. The employers of such thieves should be informed.

Gary Fewless