Species as "Hypotheses"

Paul van Rijckevorsel dipteryx at FREELER.NL
Mon Jul 12 19:06:58 CDT 2004

From: Richard Pyle <deepreef at BISHOPMUSEUM.ORG>
> To maintain consistency with the point of my original question, I would
have to qualify this as "ranked taxon".

+ + +
Seems to me that a taxon is ranked, by default. A taxon is a taxonomic
grouping, the result of the application of taxonomy. It is the core business
of taxonomy to make hierarchical classifications, and the units of the
taxonomic process are ranked. This may be the big difference between
taxonomy and systematics?

A clade can be a taxon, but a taxon need not be a clade. Actually,
many traditionally recognised taxa are paraphyletic or polyphyletic.
This does not stop them from being taxa.

Paul van Rijckevorsel
Utrecht, NL

PS: I see that the concept PhyloCode also uses "taxon" but contradicts
itself when defining what it means by this