Antarctic flora & fauna (was: New Zealand plants...)

Robin Leech releech at TELUSPLANET.NET
Tue Jul 27 20:00:05 CDT 2004

Fellow Taxacomers,

I spent two years in Antarctica, and have travelled by boat from Antarctica
to New Zealand, and from South America to Antarctica to South Georgia, the
Falkland Islands, and back to South America.

The Drake's Passage is a wide, miserable sea with the predominant winds
blowing from west to East (negating  much possibility of seeds and critters
going from South America west to - by any route, including Antarctica - to
New Zealand and Australia).  The amount of ocean between New Zealand and
Antarctica is even greater than that of Drake's Passage, and often has
weather that is just as miserable as that in Drake's Passage.

It is far more likely that the dominant westerlies could have carried
Nothofagus and associates eastwward across the Indian Ocean to Australia and
New Zealand.  Refugia or not in Antarctica, the winds are blowing the wrong
way, and the Bellingshausen Sea is one of the biggest barometric-low
generating areas of the world.  The famous "dry valleys" (e.g., Taylor Dry
Valley) are dry and ice free only because of strong, dry, cold winds blowing
off the top of the Antarctic ice cap towards the ocean.

I suggest you try another route to give linkage of Nothofagus and relatives.

Robin Leech