A zoologist asks: botanical names practice (Modified by DerekSikes)

Mary Barkworth Mary at BIOLOGY.USU.EDU
Wed Jun 16 13:21:15 CDT 2004

But since only the first publication of the combination Quercus alba is
valid, there is no need to put L. You may or may not be using it in the
same sense as Linnaeus.  You are, or think you are, using it in a sense
that would include the lectotype. We use the name Hordeum vulgare for
the cultivated barly - but include in it many things that Linnaeus had
in other species. Most of the times that we cite the name of a species
(or genus or family) we have not checked the type, nor the protologue;
we are using the name in accordance with some other reference, possibly
a flora, possibly a monograph (and possibly, though potentially less
reliably, what we were told by old (or young) prof. so and so). It is
the identification reference that is significant; it contains the
taxonomic hypothesis used, which may or may not be the same as that used
by the person who originally published the name.
Mary