Characters.

John Grehan jgrehan at TPBMAIL.NET
Sun Jun 20 11:54:32 CDT 2004

A Richard writes as an authority on post modernism I would not presume to
say his wrong about Derrida, but my understanding of Derrida's work, from
both reading the stuff (to some small degree as I am not a literary
theorist and admittedly not well grounded in philosophy) is that it
represents a different tradition to that of post-modernism. If
post-modernism is the primacy and value of cultural differences then this
would seem to be problematic for Derrida's work in that Derrida's analysis
is constrained by the primacy of what some have identified as the 'logic of
the text'. The text (writing in all its forms) places limits on the
analysis, and the nature of the text is not culturally constrained
(although one might argue that the analysis is). So in this sense
commentators have identified Derrida as part of the enlightenment
rationalist movement and in this context appears to be concordant with my
understanding of science (which is probably eccentric according to one list
contributor). It has been demonstrated that Derrida's concepts of presence
and absence, for example, are elements of biological structure and
represent the foundations of spatial analysis in panbiogeography. For a
large part, the association of Derrida with postmodernism may have more to
do with being ideologically co-opted than a necessary methodological
relationship (which might parallel what I see as the molecular co-opting of
cladistics).

When it comes to the question of definitions do not see the problem being
one of whether one may need to refer to definitions, its just that
definitions of themselves are not really the solution scientific problems
(although this has been attempted in fields as diverse as plant morphology
and speciation). In research programs definitions are the end product
rather than the beginning of an analysis, and as such they tell one no more
than what one already knows because they summarize what has been learned.
Thus, the exchange of views on what might definite phenetics, for example,
is productive if both parties have a similar understanding of the frame of
reference for the different definitions of the term. If they do not, no
amount of defining is going  to resolve anything. For example, I could
define a node as a center of incongruence without that doing much of
anything for anybody apart from a few who have perhaps some familiarity
with the context. Definitions are too often used as an educational hammer
to mold students into parroting the authority of the times.

John Grehan