Revisit of "Life of CDs"

Ed Pirog pirog at COX.NET
Tue Jun 29 08:19:19 CDT 2004

I didn't think to post this to this group but after some extensive research for archiving my digital photos I came up with the following as the best archival quality disc that some might be interested in.
MAM-A Gold CD-R by Mitsui Chemicals. They are supposed to be rated for 100 years or better depending on the care.
Another tip is to never use CD-RW for archiving data.
Ed
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Robin Leech
  To: TAXACOM at LISTSERV.NHM.KU.EDU
  Sent: Monday, June 28, 2004 6:25 AM
  Subject: [TAXACOM] Revisit of "Life of CDs"

  Hello Fellow Taxacomers,

  In today's (28 June 04)Edmonton Journal (Edmonton, Alberta),
  there is an article in the Technology Section that confirms what
  was being said on TAXACOM about CDs for storage of scientific
  articles.

  Headline:
  "CDs aren't forever, so start duplicating."

  Subheadline:
  "Many older CDs can no longer be read; victimes of poor
  handling, moisture and age. New storage systems are better,
  but nothing beats paper."

  Three of the 14 CD-ROM and DVD tips are are these:
  1.  Make double CD copies of important data and store in
  different places.
  2.  Make a new CD copy ever five years.
  3.  Buy "Fresh" CD-ROMs, as they have been exposed to
  air for less time.

  Robin Leech