A new web site in support of the teaching of Evolution

P.Hovenkamp Hovenkamp at NHN.LEIDENUNIV.NL
Thu Mar 4 10:05:35 CST 2004

At 02:09 PM 3/3/04 -0500, John Grehan wrote:

>>Well, just my predictable jaded reaction. Its a nice whitewash for
>>Darwinian ideology. Current non-Darwinian evolutionary syntheses are kept
>>out of course.

John,

Could you give us a few hints about current non-Darwinian evolutionary
syntheses? Where published? What main tenets?

And do you subscribe to one of these alternatives yourself? From the way
you kept us informed about your views on human/chimp vs human/orang-utan
relationships, I would have inferred that you work very much the way we all
do, in a mainly Darwinian paradigm: You consider shared derived states as
markers for common ancestry; you maintain an evolutionary view where humans
can be more closely related to orang-utans than either is to chimps -
apparently, the only point you object to in Darwinism is the explanation of
character change by natural selection.
Is that a correct interpretation of your points of view?

Peter Hovenkamp
Peter Hovenkamp
Nationaal Herbarium Nederland - Leiden
Tel. 071-5274732