Fwd: Re: Please characterize the "Darwinian paradigm" as you see it

Frederick W. Schueler bckcdb at ISTAR.CA
Thu Mar 4 16:38:28 CST 2004

John Grehan wrote:

> >Please characterize the "Darwinian paradigm" as you see it and I might be able to answer that precisely.

* it seems to me that the Darwinian paradigm is this: adaptive
evolutionary change is due to descent with modification by natural
selection. Non-adaptive change may have various causes, evolutionary
epiphenomena [including biogeographic patterns] may arise from various
causes, and the relative importance of adaptive and non-adaptive change
may differ among lineages.

fred.
           Bishops Mills Natural History Centre
Frederick W. Schueler, Aleta Karstad, Jennifer Helene Schueler
     (613)258-3107 <bckcdb at istar.ca> http://pinicola.ca
subscribe to the Eastern Ontario Natural History list-serve
by sending "subscribe eobm-nat" in the body of a message to
<majordomo at mail2.storm.ca>