Understanding evolution problems

Michael Ivie mivie at GEMINI.OSCS.MONTANA.EDU
Thu Mar 4 14:59:48 CST 2004

Those were not young turks (defined as revolutionaries that take over the
farm and make a success of it), for they never gained actual widespread
followings, they are more like Croizat that Hennig. (I actually waded
through Croizat's tomes, so I can say that)

In fact, your example shows the validity of my argument.  In all of those
cases, it was either political old fuddy duddies who imposed them,
or marginal fringe cases, rather than excited young scientists
who tested, found support, and where then
convenced.

As for your other arguments, the promise of phenetics is still with us, in
cladistics.  Phenetics was the John the Baptist to Cladistics, in that it
set up the search of an algorithmic, refutable paradigm. The fact that it
was not the end all be all is simply the fate of everything.  There is no
better legacy of any paradigm than to lead to the next, better one.

Your last arguments are actually all valid, but are the healthy debates
within phylogenetics.  That simply shows how current and main stream the
debate is, ever seeking improvement, and does nothing to weaken its value.

Mike