valid species? (for the code junkies)

Andy Deans adeans at LIFE.UIUC.EDU
Fri Mar 5 15:04:02 CST 2004

Hi everyone,

I have another quick question concerning the taxonomy of my group
(Hymenoptera: Evaniidae).  Would a species name be valid if it was published as follows:

Evania cellularis - Female. Like E. mutata but it has spiny legs and a red head. collected in
Java.

That's the entire description.  The author doesn't designate a type or discuss where these
specimens are deposited. The name of this article is something like "Diagnoses of new
evaniids", and it's published in 1911.  There is a short list of these "new species", and no one
has used these names (except in 1 or 2 catalogs or checklists).

Thanks for your help!

Andy