clade Muscomorpha

Ken Kinman kinman2 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Mar 23 09:42:05 CST 2004

Dear All,
     I was looking at some dipteran molecular sequences, and noticed some problems with NCBI's taxonomy.  The most confusing thing is that the name Muscomorpha is used where Cyclorrhapa should be (at least I've never seen Muscomorpha used that way).  And their Asilomorpha (which is actually part of Muscomorpha) is almost certainly paraphyletic----which doesn't bother me as long as a footnote were to be added as a disclaimer (since they have chosen a strictly cladistic classification format).  A few other "minor" changes might be in order as well, but that would just be nitpicking.  Here's a link to that page:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov:80/Taxonomy/Browser/wwwtax.cgi?id=7147

     I should note that I made an error in my own classification, having omitted Family Trichoceridae (which is close to Perissommatidae), although I suppose some dipterists might still consider Trichoceridae to be a tipuloid (in which case, it could conceivably be placed within Family Tipulidae sensu lato, but I don't plan to do that).  And secondly, Family Axymyiidae should be placed within the Neodiptera clade (not incertae sedis just outside of it).  I suppose incertae sedis next to Pachyneuridae is good a place as any until we get some molecular sequences for Axymyiidae (how close it is to the origin of Brachycera remains to be seen).
         ----- Cheers,
                      Ken Kinman