clade Muscomorpha

christian thompson cthompson at SEL.BARC.USDA.GOV
Tue Mar 23 10:50:23 CST 2004

Sorry, Ken, but in "one day" one tends to miss details.

The classification used by NCBI follows that of Frank McAlpine in
volume 3 of the Manual of Nearctic Diptera (1989, Res. Br., Agric.
Canada, Monograph 32, 1989), which is considered by some to be the
current baseline classification for flies.

For a more complete listing of current literature on Diptera
classification, see the appended notes at our Diptera website.
http://www.sel.barc.usda.gov/Diptera/NAMES/FamClass.htm

Cheers

F. Christian Thompson
Systematic Entomology Lab., USDA
c/o Smithsonian Institution
MRC-0169 NHB
PO Box 37012
Washington, DC 20013-7012
(202) 382-1800 voice
(202) 786-9422 FAX
cthompso at sel.barc.usda.gov e-mail
www.diptera.org  web site

>>> Ken Kinman <kinman2 at YAHOO.COM> 03/23/04 10:42AM >>>
Dear All,
     I was looking at some dipteran molecular sequences, and noticed
some problems with NCBI's taxonomy.  The most confusing thing is that
the name Muscomorpha is used where Cyclorrhapa should be (at least I've
never seen Muscomorpha used that way).  And their Asilomorpha (which is
actually part of Muscomorpha) is almost certainly paraphyletic----which
doesn't bother me as long as a footnote were to be added as a disclaimer
(since they have chosen a strictly cladistic classification format).  A
few other "minor" changes might be in order as well, but that would just
be nitpicking.  Here's a link to that page:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov:80/Taxonomy/Browser/wwwtax.cgi?id=7147

     I should note that I made an error in my own classification,
having omitted Family Trichoceridae (which is close to Perissommatidae),
although I suppose some dipterists might still consider Trichoceridae to
be a tipuloid (in which case, it could conceivably be placed within
Family Tipulidae sensu lato, but I don't plan to do that).  And
secondly, Family Axymyiidae should be placed within the Neodiptera clade
(not incertae sedis just outside of it).  I suppose incertae sedis next
to Pachyneuridae is good a place as any until we get some molecular
sequences for Axymyiidae (how close it is to the origin of Brachycera
remains to be seen).
         ----- Cheers,
                      Ken Kinman