clade "Muscomorpha" (two meanings)

Ken Kinman kinman2 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Mar 23 11:27:27 CST 2004

Sorry Christian, but I don't consider this a detail.  We have two different meanings of "Muscomorpha" now in use. One seems to be virtually synonymous with Cyclorrhapa, while more recently it has been applied to a much wider clade "Cyclorrhapa plus Asilomorpha".  It seems to me the wider clade should have been given a new name to avoid this confusing situation.
      I still think NCBI should use the name Cyclorrhapa, not Muscomorpha, to avoid confusion.  The term Cyclorrhapa is unambiguous, so why not use it?  The redefinition of Muscomorpha is unfortunate, and I will therefore no longer use the term at all (not even informally).
                  ----- Ken Kinman
P.S.  I guess I had forgotten that Dan Janzen was so anti-cladist.  So there is yet another systematist at the University of Pennsylvania that is really ticked off at the strict cladists.  :-)  They can only be won over by a more moderate (less strict) form of cladistics.