Fwd: Re: clade "Muscomorpha" (two meanings)

Daniel Janzen djanzen at SAS.UPENN.EDU
Tue Mar 23 12:01:21 CST 2004

Ken, while it is much fun to be set up as the arch-anything, perhaps
I should calm the waters a wee bit by emphasizing that I am not
anti-cladists.  I am pro-the-usefulness-of-taxonomy-to-everyone.

To use a simplistic analogy.

I think it is both marvelous, fascinating and useful to finally learn
that whales evolved from hippos.
But I also want to be able to know how to identify all the world's
whales with any tissue, anywhere, anytime, in one minute, very cheap.
And to be able to talk about the result to ANYONE (and listen to the
reply from anyone), and be able to archive that information, and have
it be intelligible to ANYONE 100 years from now.  THAT is what Chris
was saying.

Con calma, con calma.

Smile.

Dan Janzen
Winnie Hallwachs
Espinita Porcupine

P. S.  short publication about to appear in adjacent e-mails, for fun.  Dan