Andrena bees (request for assistance)

Leah Larkin leah_perle at ALUM.SWARTHMORE.EDU
Thu Mar 25 16:44:12 CST 2004

Dear TAXACOMers,

I am embarking on a three-year, NSF-funded project to reconstruct a
global phylogeny of the bee genus Andrena, and I would like to
solicit any help that the taxonomic community is willing to offer.
If you collect any Andrena bees this year that you are willing to
contribute to the project, I would greatly appreciate your sending
them to me.  I can send you shipping labels that will cover the costs
of postage, as well as USDA labels for importation from countries
other than the US.

Bees killed in cyanide and stored in ethanol are best for DNA
extraction, although I have gotten decent DNA from pinned specimens
that were fairly fresh (up to 6 months old).

If you would like me to send you a list of species and collection
localities in your area of North America, I'd be happy to.
Unfortunately I do not yet have such lists for palearctic areas.

Leah Larkin, Ph.D.
Research Assistant Professor
Department of Biology
MSC03 2020