lonely Dan Janzen

Fri Mar 26 08:38:55 CST 2004

Don Colless makes an excellent point about classifications.  The debates about stability and predictivity have never, despite claims to the contrary, been laid to rest.  The debates often centered on phenetic versus cladistic classifications and there are numerous examples in the literature where these approaches both agree and disagree.

When it comes to predictivity, one must ask "What is it I wish to predict?"  As most of us have recognized all along, if phylogeny is the ultimate goal, then clearly cladistic classifications are likely to be better predictors; phenetic classifications were never (except perhaps in some very early discussions; Colless early on noted
circumstances under which phenetic classifications might be expected to provide good approximations of phylogeny) intended to reflect phylogeny.  But the argument that cladistic classifications are better predictors of organisms sharing particular attributes has to be tempered by asking what attributes are being sought?  Cladistic
classifications often have very high levels of homoplasy and if the attribute you are interested in is one that shows a lot of homoplasy, then a cladistic classification will be no better than (and perhaps worse than) a phenetic classification when used to predict which taxa have which attributes.

As has been emphasized by a number of participants in these discussions, we have to ask what it is we want the classification to do and recognize that, at this point in the development of our science, there is no single system of classification that is best for doing the various things that both the classifiers and the users of the
classifications what done.

Cheers,

Dick

--
Richard J. Jensen              | tel: 574-284-4674
Department of Biology      | fax: 574-284-4716
Saint Mary's College         | e-mail: rjensen at saintmarys.edu
Notre Dame, IN 46556    | http://www.saintmarys.edu/~rjensen