Lucy in Newsweek

Curtis Clark jcclark at CSUPOMONA.EDU
Wed Mar 31 10:17:36 CST 2004

At 08:55 2004-03-31, John Grehan wrote:
>But
>then I suppose some would try to say that Gary does not understand cladistics.

No, he doesn't understand DNA.

>Thus, the chimpanzee theory of genetic relationship is not very good as a
>predictor of either morphology or fossils.

I think someone on this list mentioned the possibility that the features
shared by humans and orangutans are plesiomorphies. If that were true, it
would suggest that the non-human African apes form a clade, which
contradicts the molecular evidence, but in a *far* less dramatic fashion
than the (human,orang) hypothesis (and it, too, solves the knuckle-walking
dilemma).

I admit that I haven't kept up with all the evidence, but it seems to me
that you are expressly avoiding the hypothesis
(orang(human(chimp,gorilla))), even though it, too, has had historical
support.

Web Coordinator, Cal Poly Pomona                 +1 909 979 6371
Professor, Biological Sciences                   +1 909 869 4062