new hominid

Barry Roth barry_roth at YAHOO.COM
Mon Nov 1 08:40:48 CST 2004

Yes, there is something almost sweetly touching about this scientist's
willingness -- in this day and age -- to describe the by-guess-and-by-gosh,
rather than algorithmic, process by which the taxonomic decision was made.  It
probably reflects about the same process of ratiocination by which most such
decisions have been made throughout the history of biological systematics.

I'm not sure that, like John, I am exactly envious, but I am reminded that even
those of us with a taste for hand-thrown ceramics and one-of-a-kind handcrafted
wood furniture should not apply the same aesthetic to taxonomic judgments.

Barry Roth

[...]