Two injured whooping cranes were actually "shot"

Ken Kinman kinman2 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Nov 9 21:19:20 CST 2004

Dear All,
      I wrongly assumed that the two whooping cranes injured this past Saturday (in Stafford County, Kansas) had collided with power lines, fences, or other obstacles.  They were actually shot.  An investigation is ongoing.

      I was shocked to learn today that Saturday was the first day of sandhill crane hunting season in Kansas.  That the Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks would begin crane season so early is hard to believe.  But hunters spend a lot more money than birders do, so I would imagine that influenced such an unfortunate decision.  How embarrassing for our state.
         --- Regretfully,
                   Ken Kinman