paraphyly and polyphyly

Thomas G. Lammers lammers at UWOSH.EDU
Wed Nov 10 13:25:34 CST 2004

At 01:17 PM 11/10/2004, Derek Sikes wrote:
>I'm preparing to teach an introductory course in systematics and would
>like to hear back on the following issue:

It sounds to me as though you have a pretty good grasp on the subject.
:-)

I've often thought that a lot of the confusion stems from the idea that
paraphyly is A Bad Thing rather than The Natural Order of Things, i.e., the
pattern evolution most often creates.

I recall a paper a number of years back that attempted to address some of
these practical and philosophical concerns but describing groups as
"convex" or "concave."  It didn't catch on, but I always thought there was
some merit to the author's ideas.

Thomas G. Lammers, Ph.D.

Department of Biology and Microbiology
University of Wisconsin Oshkosh