follow up on paraphyly / polyphyly

Barry Roth barry_roth at YAHOO.COM
Thu Nov 11 09:15:16 CST 2004

The issue of whether a taxon or group of taxa is holophyletic or not was of
interest well before cladistic methodology came along.  Hence, early
discussions of "natural" groups.  A tree/phylogenic hypothesis can be inspected
for paraphyly or polyphyly regardless of how it was constructed.  Nevertheless,
I agree that a theoretical framework should be decided upon explicitly early in
any discussion, if we want to get anywhere.

Barry Roth