Taxa surviving end-Cretaceous extinction

Barry Roth barry_roth at YAHOO.COM
Mon Nov 15 16:24:19 CST 2004

With only the author's abstract at hand, it is hard to know just what the
author did.  However, a phylogenetic hypothesis does allow inference about
unobserved or unobservable characters (such as behavior in a fossil taxon)
based on the distribution of character-states on the tree.  We would need to
see the data and learn the author's process of inference to critique it
effectively.  Interestingly, this leads back to another recent thread -- the
reason to prefer holophyletic groups when trying to answer questions like this.
 And the hypothesis that a group of taxa is holophyletic is strongest when it
results from a cladistic analysis.

Can you point us to the media coverage you mention?  I would be curious as to
whether it has to do merely with "debunking sells papers" or if there is
something more nefarious, like a tie-in to pro- versus anti-global warming
advocacy.

Barry