The nature of cladistics [was: Whooper; Canadian geese split; paraphyly]

Thomas G. Lammers lammers at UWOSH.EDU
Thu Nov 18 07:43:54 CST 2004

At 12:53 AM 11/18/2004, Curtis Clark wrote:
>They are divorced as well from community ecology, big-bang cosmology, or
>organometallic chemistry. I expect students to know that evolutionary
>processes are not uniform at all levels of organization

I don't understand.  Are you saying that when someone performs a
phylogenetic analysis of the species comprising a genus, that he or she is
NOT attempting to reconstruct patterns due to population-level
phenomena?  Are you saying that the two forks of a cladogram at this level
do NOT represent the establishment of some sort of reproductive isolation
between the sets of populations represented?

>I believe I should be able to expect the same of my colleagues.

And I thought I could expect courtesy from mine.

Thomas G. Lammers, Ph.D.

Department of Biology and Microbiology
University of Wisconsin Oshkosh
Oshkosh, Wisconsin 54901-8640 USA