neospecies

Thu Nov 18 16:34:27 CST 2004

In my experience, neospecies refers to a recently diverged lineage that may
evolve into a species, if it survives.  Protospecies might work as well.

I don't see why it shouldn't be used to refer to a lineage that arises through
hybridization, but I think the usage you describe is incorrect.  If the authors
are describing a "full species" (I assume they mean that the entity in question
is taxonomically equivalent to the other species in their study group), then it
is simply a species, not a neospecies.

Dick

--
Richard J. Jensen              | tel: 574-284-4674
Department of Biology      | fax: 574-284-4716
Saint Mary's College         | e-mail: rjensen at saintmarys.edu
Notre Dame, IN 46556    | http://www.saintmarys.edu/~rjensen