The nature of cladistics [was: Whooper; Canadian geese split; paraphyly]

Curtis Clark jcclark-lists at EARTHLINK.NET
Thu Nov 18 21:44:56 CST 2004

on 2004-11-18 08:51 Thomas G. Lammers wrote:
> Well, that's pretty much my original point!  Cladistic methods at those
> levels seem inappropriate BECAUSE they are divorced from the reality they
> purport to reflect.  When someone can construct an algorithm to accommodate
> that, it will be a major breakthrough.

And none of this has anything to do with paraphyletic higher taxa.

Perhaps, as one of my IT colleagues puts it, we are in "violent
agreement", and I've been attributing Kinmanian views to you that you
don't hold. If so, my apologies.

Web Coordinator, Cal Poly Pomona                 +1 909 979 6371
Professor, Biological Sciences                   +1 909 869 4062