Translation of a Bot. Latin term

Garland, Mark garlanm1 at DOACS.STATE.FL.US
Fri Nov 19 13:55:24 CST 2004

Vincent, Leszek <mailto:Leszek at MISSOURI.EDU> wrote:
> Dear Taxacom'ers - could anyone help me with the translation (to
> English) of the term "potentissimo" as in the statement: "radio amplo
> potentissimo" (from a description in Memorie della Reale Accademia
> delle Scienze di Torino, 38:31, 1833, by A. Rich., for Senecio
> linearifolius)? Stearn's Botanical Latin has helped me with the rest
> of the deciphering of the description.

Looks like "ray ample, very strong."

See the Perseus web site for a classical Latin (and Greek) dictionary:
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/resolveform. Search for "possum"
and you'll get definitions of "potens," from which the superlative
"potentissimus" comes.

--
Mark A. Garland
Botany Section