The nature of cladistics [...]

Curtis Clark jcclark-lists at EARTHLINK.NET
Sat Nov 20 06:35:50 CST 2004

on 2004-11-20 01:54 Don.Colless at CSIRO.AU wrote:
> As I understand it, a phylogeny is a record of past evolutionary
> history. Forgive me for a bit of logic-chopping, but how do
> "processes" act upon the past?

Forgive me for the same, but how can history arise without process? As
has been pointed out, once gene flow between two incipient species
stops, the processes of population genetics no longer affect them
jointly, but that leaves the possibility of many alternate subsequent
histories. That there is only one must result from processes other than
population genetics.

Web Coordinator, Cal Poly Pomona                 +1 909 979 6371
Professor, Biological Sciences                   +1 909 869 4062