grid based maps

Alex Thomas alex at DIDG.COM
Sat Oct 9 11:22:40 CDT 2004

Hi

I did exactly this for 192 species.

I first decided the cell size of my grids and calculated how many columns
and rows of cells would be needed to cover my study area.

I then wrote a database routine in Access that for each species created a
species text file then in fixed steps working from top left corner I queried
whether a record for the species existed in the database that had a lat-long
which occurred within the cell. If there was a record I wrote a '0' and if
there was a record of kind A I wrote a '1', of type B a '2', etc. , and
worked down to the lower right cell.

I then created a base map in PICT format.

Using MacGIS (Hulse, D. and K. Larson (1992). MacGIS 2.0.1. Eugene,
University of Oregon.) I then combined the base map with the overlay by
importing the species text file, then exported the result to a PICT file.
MacGIS had a scripting capability so I only had to do about three clicks per
species, but I did have to manually process each species.

I then laid the PICT files out using Adobe PageMaker, but it could just as
easily be done (now) in Word.

Hope this helps,

Alex

Alex Thomas
Director
Didg Information Systems Pty Ltd
220 Gertrude Street
Fitzroy VIC 3065

Mb. 61-(0)417-490-594
Em. alex at didg.com
WWW http://www.didg.com

Professional applications and services for recording and brokering wildlife
observations.