The problem with biogeography

Ken Kinman kinman2 at YAHOO.COM
Sun Oct 10 22:49:04 CDT 2004

John,
      I'm am not sure why you addressed this to "the not so serious scientist".  In any case, I am rather surprised that anyone would attempt to draw any biogeographic conclusions (generally or particularly) from a family of mosses whose taxonomic content is so controversial.  One author even suggests that its holophyly (strict monophyly) is doubtful even beyond two genera (the type genus and a closely related genus).  It just seems to be premature to draw biogeographical conclusions where neither the content nor phylogeny is well established.
         ----- Ken Kinman