ICZN changes not online?

Ken Kinman kinman2 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Oct 13 00:07:53 CDT 2004

Dear All,
      Is the latest edition of the ICZN, or even the major new changes it contains, available anywhere online?   If not, is it a matter of copyright and feared loss of revenue from sales of the printed book?   If we want to prevent nomenclatural errors, shouldn't the provisions of the Code be made more accessible?   I cannot understand why, at the very least, the major new changes should not be allowed to be posted online (as they apparently were for a short time).

     Of course, that wouldn't have prevented the recent naming of Family Saccosporidae (which unfortunately DID turn out to be an invalid descriptive name, NOT based on a type genus).  However, I am somewhat concerned that provisions of the Code are so protected by copyright that it tends to impede one of its main goals (ensuring that new taxon names are properly formed).
          ---------- Ken Kinman
P.S.  Whether Buddenbrockiidae will be the formal replacement name for Saccosporidae (or not) is unclear.  Not having a copy of the latest edition of ICZN, I am unsure how this case will be resolved.  Thankfully, it is not really my decision to make.  I could only point out the problem to the authors and hope for the best.  Time will tell.