ICZN changes not online?

Paul Kirk p.kirk at CABI.ORG
Tue Oct 12 23:09:23 CDT 2004

Ken,

Looks like the Botanists (Mycologists, Algologists/Phycologists etc.) are
one step ahead of the Zoologists on this - see:

http://www.bgbm.fu-berlin.de/iapt/nomenclature/code/SaintLouis/0000St.Luisti
tle.htm

Paul

Paul M. Kirk
Mycologists
CABI Bioscience

-----Original Message-----
From: Ken Kinman
To: TAXACOM at listserv.nhm.ku.edu
Sent: 13/10/04 06:07
Subject: [TAXACOM] ICZN changes not online?

Dear All,
      Is the latest edition of the ICZN, or even the major new changes
it contains, available anywhere online?   If not, is it a matter of
copyright and feared loss of revenue from sales of the printed book?
If we want to prevent nomenclatural errors, shouldn't the provisions of
the Code be made more accessible?   I cannot understand why, at the very
least, the major new changes should not be allowed to be posted online
(as they apparently were for a short time).

     Of course, that wouldn't have prevented the recent naming of Family
Saccosporidae (which unfortunately DID turn out to be an invalid
descriptive name, NOT based on a type genus).  However, I am somewhat
concerned that provisions of the Code are so protected by copyright that
it tends to impede one of its main goals (ensuring that new taxon names
are properly formed).
          ---------- Ken Kinman
P.S.  Whether Buddenbrockiidae will be the formal replacement name for
Saccosporidae (or not) is unclear.  Not having a copy of the latest
edition of ICZN, I am unsure how this case will be resolved.
Thankfully, it is not really my decision to make.  I could only point
out the problem to the authors and hope for the best.  Time will tell.