Interbreeding of Neanderthals & Modern humans

Ken Kinman kinman2 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Oct 19 20:50:47 CDT 2004

Dear All,
      I was just watching (for the second time) the PBS program "Neanderthals On Trial".  It seems to me that two separate questions are sometimes being confused as being just one big question "smushed" together.

     Even if there is little or no trace of Neanderthals in modern populations, that does NOT mean that they didn't interbreed during the time that moderns began invading Europe.  Given our species tendency to discriminate racially (or even religiously), it wouldn't be at all surprising that Neanderthal genes got swamped out over the centuries.   I've never understood those who insist that Neanderthals were a separate species from us, and continue to just ignore any evidence that interbreeding probably did occur (although just how much occurred is anybody's guess).
                    ---- Cheers,
                             Ken Kinman